GALILEO and EGNOS for waterway transport
Introducing EGNOS and GALILEO into the European River Information System
The GALEWAT (GALILEO and EGNOS for waterway transport) project, conducted
by a consortium of partners operating in the fields of waterway
operation and management, navigation, maritime electronics,
telecommunication and IT industries and services, aimed at the
realization of a first step towards the introduction of EGNOS
and finally GALILEO into the upcoming RIS all across Europe.
The project comprised the following main steps:
- Identify user requirements (e.g. RNP Parameter),
services and demonstration projects.
- Evaluate EGNOS for application in Transport & Traffic
Info Services as well as for Traffic & Transport Management purposes.
- Integrate EGNOS into the AIS transponder environment.
- Analyse and validate through theoretical work as well as
through a demonstration project in the DoRIS test centre, that EGNOS,
integrated into the AIS transponder concept, is capable to meet the user
and service requirements; special emphasis will be on accuracy and integrity
- Develop and analyse transition scenarios from today’s situation
towards use of EGNOS and GALILEO.
via donau, Austria (lead)
Kongsberg Seatex AS, Norway
TeleConsult Austria, Austria
European Space Agency (ESA)
Successfully completed in 2005